Saturday, November 19, 2016

Book Review: "Fitting Every Figure" and "The Complete Photo Guide to Clothing Construction"

I have recently decided to up my game when it comes to clothing construction, as well as learning tailoring. I'm learning clothing construction because of a recent suggestion that I make a costume portfolio. It's been years since I've had a collection of costumes on hand, because I stopped having the materials and time to make them, and no occasions to justify making something really spectacular. So since I have to start from scratch, I want to learn as much as I can as I go, so that my results are the best they can be.

When beginning to learn something, my first action is to visit my local library's website and order whatever I see that looks interesting. It's awesome to get a stack of 10 or 20 books, and spend a little time leisurely perusing them. (Or as often happens nowadays, quickly flipping through the pages to see what will be worth my time to actually look over.)

Here are my thoughts on the two most recent books I've checked out about clothing creation!

The Complete Photo Guide To Clothing Construction

ISBN: 978-1-58923-777-3

I love complete guides for beginners. Even if I know a lot about a subject, I still usually learn new things in them. And this one certainly doesn't disappoint. It covers tools and how to use them, basic garments, how to read patterns, different types of stitches, and more.

I will spoil the secret in this one that shocked me: You can use pinking shears on on woven fabric to prevent the edges from fraying. I have told this to other people who already knew that, and they assure me it's true. I still can't believe it. Going to try this out once I get the pinking shears sharpened.


Threads Fitting For Every Figure

ISBN: 978-1-60085-396

I want to make my own patterns, but I'm not quite there yet. Currently I am exploring everything I can do with a bog coat, which is one of the most basic tops ever. It's a rectangle with two slits in the side, and then it's assembled into a jacket somehow. Making more complicated things from scratch is doable, but it takes a long time - as things tend to do when I don't know all the advanced ins and outs yet.

This book contains is a very complete guide to altering patterns, and I'm just super delighted with it! Besides using it to make/modify my designs, I'm also using it to alter pre-made patterns. You'll be able to see the results here.


About ISBN numbers: You can use these fantastic little codes to search for books on bookselling websites and libraries across the world. If your library system doesn't have a copy of the book, you can usually use the ISBN to request another library's copy as an ILL (Inter-Library Loan). Sometimes there is a cost, but often this service is provided for free!

No comments:

Post a Comment