Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Celtic Knotwork Poison Ivy coat: Update

Gremlin is one of our cats. She is what we call a 'follow cat' - a cat who insists on following one or more humans throughout the house. She's also very momsy, and loves nothing more than having everyone sleep in a pile and giving baths to cats and humans alike.

Today, she is helping to model the wool coat I've been redesigning and decorating for my Poison Ivy costume collection. My goal is to have a mix and match set of costume pieces that I can use for any weather or situation.

It is a military style coat that I unfortunately never got a picture of when I first recieved it. I haven't changes the basic structure much, though, so it should be easy to imagine it's original state.



Anyway, I am working on the embroidery that I intend to have border most of the coat. It's about half done. In the picture above, there is a silver thread running alongside green knotwork. This particular style of interlacing is pretty much the simplest one I know how to do. I haven't had much practice with making carpet pages (Those full pages of illumination in medieval books), and trying to make a design that fit all the panels of the coat was just too much. So I started with the trim, and intend to design the rest later.








The back of the coat used to be split, but I filled that in when I had to expand the size of the coat. I'm not entirely sure why, and I might take that panel out later.

The finished side has one puffy line and a silver thread. I believe I'm about 2/3rds to 3/4 of the way done.

No comments:

Post a Comment