Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Little Flowers

I oscillate between different arts and crafts. At regular intervals, I get tired of one thing and switch to another. It generally works out well, except when I'm trying to complete long-term projects.

When it comes to crocheting, the periods where I don't do it are often longer than other crafts. It often feels like a waste of time. Not that I don't enjoy it! It's just that I usually end up feeling like I could be doing so many other, more productive things. I usually grapple with those feelings until I give up and decide - to hell with it! Crocheting is happening!

I made this thing because I like the feel of the yarn. It will probably be a trivet, for setting hot pans on. (I'll take another picture when I get around to blocking it, when it will probably look more impressive.)


I intended to make the whole thing look like the center rings, but as they got bigger, I realized the pattern wasn't sustainable. So I made bigger blank spaces, and then eventually incorporated some orange. This is what an indecisive piece made with a random assortment of yarns looks like.

I still want to complete a larger project, but I don't have the time or energy to do it. So instead I'm returning to experiments with making patches and piecing them together.



These are my first two. The one with seven holes was the first one I did. I opted not to count what I was doing at first, because I make bad decisions like that. I liked the result, so I decided to recreate it. After a few tries, I settled on doing a magic circle with 7 single crochet stitches on it.

I've been trying to decide how to piece these together. I have an equal (or possibly larger) amount of white crochet thread, so an obvious choice would be daisies. While I like flowers, however, I don't know that what comes to mind is the best choice. It would probably be better for me to stay abstract.

More on this story as it develops.




No comments:

Post a Comment